Sunday, January 29, 2006

Online radio and much more

Listening to KERA 90.1 right now - Sam Machkovech is a guest on Paul Slaven's show and is talking up the local music scene. It's always refreshing to hear the local media doing their thing and spreading the good word. Sam is the Dallas Observer's music editor. He recently wrote a scathing discourse on Dallas' Deep Ellum scene's fall from ....uh....grace (?). He is quite opinionated and can come off short sometimes, but does write good reviews and does a ton of work to promote the local music scene. I actually ran into him last night at Hailey's in Denton.

We had just played our show as part of Spune's "Back to School Festival" - featuring 12 or so Dallas/Denton/Austin bands, including the a..m..a..z..i..n..g Black Angels and Experimental Aircraft (more on that later). I was meandering towards the bar for my 2nd(cough..cough..5th..cough..cough) Pyramid Apricot and I ran into our manager, Chance who introduced me to Sam. Chance and Eric know him pretty well and Sam has always been good to us....we are more than itching to get him some new material to listen to.

A few highlights of the festival (i forgot my camera so no pics....sorry):

-Hanging out with the Black Angels and Experimental Aircraft...not only yesterday, but the night before as well, when the 3 of us played the Cavern (pics below). There may not be nicer band folks than these guys/girls combined. I have both of their EPs now and they are both great. The Black Angels have this unbelievable aura of "we don't really know how good we are"...either that, or they know but are some of the most humble musicians. RIYL Drone n' Roll, Velvet U, BJ Massacre, Warlocks, BRMC, etc etc

- My parents and brother showed up to hear us contribute to their hearing loss.

- Running into a couple of old friends (what's up MB!)

- The Numbers Twist.....um...wow. Mix ...and You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead with the Mars Volta....add a drummer...and you have NT. These guys had amazing energy and the drummers were dead on together.

- Denton. I love Denton. I always seem to have a lot of fun whenever I visit. Oh ya...and these.


Friday show Pics:

Mission to the Sea - very mellow and tender songs

Lauren, me and Neal


The Black Angels - picture can't do them justice, even with the "improvements" but it's the best one I got...(even missing another guitarist/keyboardist on the far right)


Blurry lil me

I don't know how I didn't get any Exp. Air. pics...but I'm very upset about that....crap!

Anyway, it's been a near perfect weekend and I'm in a great mood. Much love...

4 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Sam M. said...

short?

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://kfsndsko.com/farp/fxsc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://iqdrsjfx.com/hkeu/kwtb.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://kfsndsko.com/farp/fxsc.html | http://aenyiywk.com/kvlu/zgkk.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home